BLACKHEAD FUN!

Blackheads… need I say more?

Maybe I do.  As a teenager, there’s nothing more annoying than when you breakout, it’s horrifying, it’s distracting.  It can even be debilitating.  As an adult, the same could be said.  No amount of makeup is going to give you the confidence that clear skin will give you when you have spots on your face.

So, why is it that so many of us are drawn to the blackheads and giant cysts being popped?  First, it started with the dodgy backyard pops, where the camera work is unstable and the audio is of annoying people screaming.  I must admit, I got a lot of joy out of these videos, but, ultimately, they were annoying, having to listen to people scream and run away from the action.  Dude, you have one job, and that’s to hold the camera and make sure you capture the money shot.

I’ve always been a popper, like a ferret, I would scour people’s backs, trying to find backheads.  More of than not, you will feel a small backhead before you see it.  There’s so much satisfaction when you push that little hard sucker out with your nails.  I call it ferreting, running my nimble fingers over people’s back, trying to find oxidised suckers that shouldn’t be there.

But inevitably, I would run out of blackheads to find, after all, the fun lasts all of a few minutes, and then you all move on.  And not having the foresight or extra hands, I’ve never been able to film my own blackhead explorations.  So, when friends started posting uber gross backyard cyst pops on their stalkerbook feeds, a whole new world opened up to me.  Sure, the dodgy commentary and annoying unstable camera work annoyed me beyond belief, but, ultimately, it was better than some stupid reality TV show.

Then came the professionals.  Professional pimple poppers, doctors, beauticians… my world opened up.  My secret fetish was no secret, nor am I alone in my enjoyment.  There are a lot of us, some of us are secretive about our enjoyment, others, are loud and proud.  I’m in between.  Those close to me know that I enjoy the ritual of popping, and are happy to seek out my “services” for their own backs.

I enjoy immensely Dr. Sandra Lee, the Pimple Doctor, she’s got a great bedside manner.  She’s lovely towards her patients who let her film them in exchange for free consultation.  Dr. Sandra and I are friends (in my head), we’re great friends.  I find her voice comforting, and her chatter about everything from her patients to the weather endearing.  She’s quick, efficient, and effective.  I watch, often with my breath held, and body slightly tense in anticipation as she uses her tool of choice, the comedone extractor.  I have my favourite repeat patients of hers, whom I love to watch.  I’m a backheads kind of gal, I like the quick easy pushes.  Those to me are the epitome of satisfaction.  Dr. Sandra nicknames her patients, my favourite would be Pops and Mr. Wilson.  The two originals of her YouTube empire.

Pops made me cry, I watched his videos, and his story, and I cried.  I hope he’s OK.  We haven’t seen him for a while, but, after loosing his wife, he appears to not be in the best way.  I hope he’s doing better and walking taller.

There is only one thing about Dr. Sandra that doesn’t satisfy me, and that’s the pops done by hand.  The one where you’re gloved up, using two tissues and squeezing the pimple out.

And that’s where Josefa Reina comes in.  She’s found herself the recipient of a great patient/customer, who has some fantastic blackheads.  She does the slow push, even at time, massaging the tail of the backhead out.  I may have found my goldmine in this customer of hers.  Josefa appears to be a methodical professional, she’s so thorough in her videos, it’s awesome!  I find myself encouraging her as though she could hear me, and get great satisfaction when she follows through.  It’s like I’m watching an NFL game as I cheer her on.

I guess the popper is only as good as their poppee.  Let’s face it, if you’re going to a snot nosed teenager, you’re not going to get the good blackheads, that only happens with age.  Blackheads need time to cultivate, they need time to darken, harden, and develop.

I may have a problem, but meh, I’m OK with it.  And most importantly, it’s got me way less interested in my own face and what’s going on there.  My imperfections no longer interest me, a sentiment which is regularly shared by the wider popaholic community.

Leave a comment